Discovering Text Structure: moving beyond the five

Most of us think of text structure only in five different types: Problem-Solution, Cause & Effect, Compare & Contrast, Sequence, and Descriptive. But there is very little out there on teaching how to write in these formats. This is where I direct to Gretchen Bernabie. A name I was not familiar with until I moved to Texas.
Bernabie has become my go-to for writing instruction. She breaks down writing a memory into steps: Where were you? What happened first? What happened next? What happened last? What was your life lesson? And so other purposes and forms of writing are broken down. Students are even encouraged to find and create their won text structures.

Check it out. I know I found things that worked with my kids, you just might too.

Comments