Looking A Grade Lower

Looking to "Lower" grade materials can provide great warm ups and reviews.

While working with middle school kids I fell in love with BrainPOP. A service paid for by the school I student taught at that provided interesting videos, quizzes my kids loved to take on the smart board, and printable activities. I loved it with 8th graders so imagined how excited I was to find out there was a BrainPOP JR. This was awesome. Especially when I went to work with 6th Graders.

Wait! Did you say 6th Graders? I thought this was for little kids?

Well, it is. But some concepts are complex and I want to make sure that my students have a grasp on the basics before I add new information. So the "lower" version (referring to a lower grade) is helpful when I want to review basics before introducing a new concept (like reviewing subjects and verbs before teaching 6th graders about direct and indirect objects).

If you have ever found yourself with a difficulty concept to teach, a short 3 minute engaging video or activity that reminds your kids what they already know may just be the ticket to the success train. I have found that a great resource for these activities and videos lie with a grade or two below my own. By searching with wider parameters, I can find great warm ups and quick reviews.

Comments